LGBTQ+ Resources in Kansas City
Post Date: May 23, 2022
We are deeply saddened by the closure of our former MOCADSV member agency, the Kansas City Anti-Violence Project, which leaves Kansas City and the surrounding area without domestic and sexual violence resources specifically aimed at serving the LGBTQ+ community. However, other crisis resources and LGBTQ+ organizations still exist in the area.
The list below is from an article in the Kansas City Star.
Kansas City Resources:
- MOCSA is Kansas City’s largest resource organization for survivors of sexual assault. You can contact the group’s crisis hotline at 816-531-0233 in Missouri or 913-642-0233 in Kansas.
- Hope House is a nonprofit that operates six domestic violence shelters in the Kansas City area. You can reach it directly at 816-461-4673 or call the metro domestic violence hotline at 816-468-5463 to reach any of its shelters.
- The Mattie Rhodes Center provides crisis counseling services primarily in Spanish to Kansas City families. Its services include domestic violence intervention and mental health counseling. You can contact the center at 816-241-3780.
- Rose Brooks is a domestic violence shelter that also accommodates pets. You can call its 24-hour crisis hotline at 816-861-6100.
- Pride Haven is an overnight shelter for LGBTQ+ people ages 18-24 experiencing homelessness or facing an unsafe situation at home. The shelter provides housing and job search assistance, medical and mental health referrals, and other services. You can contact the shelter 24/7 by calling 816-931-0602.
- Our Spot KC is a nonprofit group that coordinates housing assistance, hosts events, and distributes meals and personal care items to those in need. It includes Lion House, a transitional housing program for LGBTQ youth. You can contact the organization by calling 913-303-8664.
- Synergy Services is a domestic violence and youth crisis resource center based in Parkville. Teens and young adults can call its youth crisis hotline at 816-741-8700 or 888-233-1639 to learn about its services, which include a shelter for runaway and homeless youth.
- Newhouse is a domestic violence shelter in Kansas City that also provides therapy services, court advocacy, and transitional housing. You can call the shelter at 816-471-5800.
- Safehome is a domestic violence shelter and nonprofit located in Overland Park. You can call its 24-hour hotline at 913-262-2868.
To find service providers across the state of Missouri, visit our How To Get Help page.