Licensed Professional Counselor
LICENSED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR – The Women’s Safe House
The Women’s Safe House is the oldest and largest provider of emergency services to women and children experiencing domestic violence. We also work with women and families experiencing sexual assault, stalking and human trafficking. The Women’s Safe House is a 24-hour facility. We are an active member of the State of Missouri and National Coalitions Against Domestic and Sexual Violence.
The Licensed Professional Counselor will work directly with the women and children residing at our facility who have experienced domestic abuse. This position will be responsible for providing trauma informed counseling and supportive services to our participants with a women-defined advocacy approach.
Reports to Chief Executive Officer
Description of Duties:
• Provide counseling services to women and children who live in The Women’s Safe House
• Have training/experience working with women and children who have experienced trauma through domestic or sexual abuse, sex trafficking or stalking
• Complete initial appointment with new resident and do screening and assessment process within an appropriate time frame
• Determine and document any needs/diagnosis of the resident for further services
• Development treatment plan for resident and/or children
• Facilitate group counseling, group education, family therapy and individual sessions with residents
• Handle crisis situations as they arise
• Refers residents to outside agencies as appropriate and assists in setting up appointments
• Takes part in Case Management meetings
• Keeps current on available resources provided by outside agencies and serves as a liaison
• Chairs the staff Wellness committee and serves on other committees as requested
• Attends all staff meetings, house Huddles and All staff meetings and trainings as required
• Licensed in Counselor or master’s degree in counseling,
• Knowledge of domestic violence and empowerment of women preferred
• Knowledge of counseling techniques with a trauma focus approach, behavioral management skills, deescalating skills and other resources for residents
• Ability to effectively provide individual and group counseling
• Excellent communications skills
• Respect for diversity
• Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and automobile insurance
• Demonstrate the ability to work well with people of various ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Strong ability to build interpersonal relationships and effectively communicate across teams.
• Must adhere to TWSH policies, procedures, and standards including, but not limited to, confidentiality assisting victims of crime and similar practices.
• A deep appreciation and understanding of the issues of trauma and domestic violence.
• Willingness and ability to convey warmth, compassion, respect and non-judgment to people experiencing domestic violence.
• Ability to adhere to safety policies, procedures and practices including, but not limited to wearing rubber sole shoes when lifting and carrying items.
• Must have own reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
Working and Physical Conditions:
• This position will work within an organization serving women and children residing in a domestic violence shelter (confidential location).
• Able to lift up to 25 pounds.
The Women’s Safe House is an equal opportunity employer.